The Home Department is the Administrative Department of Police, Prisons, Fire & Emergency Services, Sainik Welfare and Defence Labour Procurement Departments. The Department functions under the supervision and guidance of the Chief Minister (Minister in-charge, Home Department) and the Administrative Secretary of Home Department, who at present is of the rank of Principal Secretary to Government.
Departments under the administrative control of Home Department
- J&K Police Department and its sub-departments Criminal Investigation Department, Home Guards/Civil Defence, Traffic, Crime Branch, Forensic Science Laboratory, Railway Police, Prosecution and J&K Police Housing Corporation.
- Fire & Emergency Services Department.
- Prisons Department.
- Defence Labour Procurement Department.
- Sainik Welfare Department.
Subjects assigned to Home Department
The Home Department deals with the following subjects:-
- Service matters pertaining to IPS.
- Cadre management of J&K Police Gazetted Service, Gazetted Services of Prisons, Fire & Emergency Services, Sainik Welfare and Defence Labour Procurement Services.
- Policy Matters pertaining to these Departments.
- Internal Security, crime, law and order.
- Prosecutions and detention under PSA and other laws.
- Civil Military Liaison.
- Liaison with the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- Issuing of 'No Objection' for grant of visa, extension of visa and grant of 'No Objection to Return to India' (NORI).
- Ex- gratia relief, rehabilitation and compassionate appointments under SRO-43 pertaining to the departments under its administrative control.
- Issues relating to requisition and acquisition of land.